Dr Stuart Dutson

Class of 1986

Partner, Simmons & Simmons

From a small school in Daisy Hill to the law courts of the world, Stuart Dutson has fond memories of the early years that helped shape his career as one of the world’s leading international arbitration lawyers.

‘I remember a place that was very green, intimate and Christian in its ethos.’

Stuart joined John Paul College as a Year Eleven student and excelled in mathematics and science. He took every opportunity to immerse himself in the co-curricular offerings, taking up rugby, cricket and debating.

‘I learned a lot from a lot of inspirational teachers at an aspirational school in its infancy. My maths teacher, Terry Parsons, was a man of great insight, care and Christianity.’

Stuart graduated as Dux of the College in 1986 and obtained a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Business (both with First Class Honours) from the University of Queensland. He was awarded the University Medal in Law. He departed Australian shores to commence his doctoral studies in international law from Gonville and Caius College University of Cambridge in 1994 and hasn’t looked back.

Stuart has gone on to establish himself as one of the world’s leading international arbitration practitioners who has acted for and against parties throughout the world.

Stuart is currently a partner at Simmons & Simmons based in London and has also worked at leading UK law firms Eversheds LLP and Linklaters. He was a member of the ICC Court of International Arbitration in France and from 2000 to 2001, was Malawi’s State Advocate in the Ministry of Justice.

In addition to this, Stuart is a Fellow of the London School of Economics and is currently lecturing at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies) University of London.

While Stuart says he has learned much from great lawyers including Judge Bill Pincus, Campbell McLachlan, Lord Lawrence Collins, Professor John Collier, Professor James Crawford and Chris Style QC, it’s his wife, children, colleagues and friends over the years who have taught him more.

For more information visit;

– www.johnpaulcollege.com.au

– www.facebook.com/JohnPaulCollegeQld

– https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnPaulCollegeQLD

– www.jpic.qld.edu.au

– http://www.simmons-simmons.com/en/people/contacts/s/stuart-dutson