Mobile phones and other digital devices have become a normal and acceptable technological accessory for people of all ages to use to their own advantage.
As in the wider society, so too is this the case increasingly in schools. We recognise that there are occasions when it is genuinely appropriate and beneficial for students to have access to such devices. They may, for example, need to contact parents in emergencies or to confirm or change a collection time after school. However, there are occasions when the use of these devices by students should be restricted.
It is hoped that the pursuance of this policy will lead to the sensible and trouble free use of mobile phones and other digital devices by students.
Mobile Phone and Digital Device Policy
The following expectations constitute our policy on the use of mobile phones and other similar digital devices by students.
- We strongly recommend that students use only phones that have a disabling facility.
- It is important that students display courtesy, consideration and respect for others whenever they are using a mobile phone.
- These devices should not be used in any manner or place that is disruptive to the normal routine of the College.
- Students should only use their mobile phones before or after school, or during recess and lunch breaks.
- Students should have mobile phones switched off and out of sight during classes, assemblies and services, ensuring that they are stored in a safe and secure place, for example, in uniform pocket or notebook computer case. Storage of these devices in student bags, unsecured on port-racks, is not advisable.
- Digital devices must be switched off and out of sight during assemblies and services. Their use during class time is at the discretion of the teacher and the music being listened to should be conducive to learning and must be legally procured.
- Earphones or headphones are not to be worn while moving around the College campus because if hearing is restricted then student safety is at risk and students are not able to return greetings if they cannot hear them.
- These devices are not to be brought into an area where exams are taking place.
- In-phone cameras are not to be used anywhere a normal camera would be considered inappropriate, such as in change rooms or toilets.
- Students must not photograph or film other individuals without their consent or send harassing or threatening messages.
- Mobile phones and other portable digital devices are brought onto College property and used at their owners’ risk. No liability will be accepted by the College in the event of the loss, theft or damage of any device.
This policy also applies to students during school excursions, camps and co-curricular activities. The College reserves the right to ban the taking of devices by students to certain College excursions or tours.
Failure to abide by these policy expectations will result in appropriate disciplinary action being taken against the offending student(s).