Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) takes place before school, after school and during school vacations, and consists of care for Kindergarten and school age children.
The program is conducted by a qualified and experienced educator. OSHC provides a place where children can play, relax or extend their academic potential in a safe, caring and stimulating environment, complementing the academic program at John Paul College.
Kindergarten Before and After Care is held in the Kindergarten building, from 7.00am – 8.30am and 3.00pm – 6.00pm, during term time. The children are escorted to their Kindergarten rooms by Kindergarten Care Staff, and delivered for care at the end of the Kindergarten Day.
All children enrolled in at John Paul College are automatically enrolled in the Outside School Hours Care Programme (OSHCP).
Before School Care is held in the OSHC room in the Doulin building from 7.00am – 8.30 am. Children attending Before School Care must be signed in by a responsible adult/caregiver.
Children who arrive at school unsupervised, before 8.15am will be directed to Before School Care, where they will be signed in by a staff member. Parents will be charged accordingly.
After School Care is held from 2.30 pm – 6.00pm and uses the OSHC room with adjacent playground. Children go straight to After School Care at the end of their school day. Prep children attending After School Care are escorted to the rooms by OSHC staff at the conclusion of their day.
For safety reasons, supervision is provided at the Chatswood Road and Mayflower car parks until 3.30pm. After this time, all children who are not collected will be required to attend After School Care. For regular Before and After School Care, parents are requested to fill in a booking form which is available from OSHC. This will be used as a guide for staffing.
Extra places will still be available for care which is needed on a casual basis.
Children are influenced by all who are around them – “It takes a Village to raise a Child”
Our Outside School Hours Care programme aims to provide high quality care for our community by acknowledging the importance of play and leisure in children’s learning and development . We understand that their learning is not limited to any particular time or place.
Our program supports the College’s vision by providing:
• a school aged care service that has an understanding of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, through respecting the dignity and integrity of children;
• a service that recognises the importance of continuous improvement by establishing and maintaining a culture of ongoing reflection and self-review;
• children with the opportunity to interact and play in safe, nurturing, fun-filled surroundings, where mutual respect, tolerance and respect for diversity and the environment are encouraged;
• a caring, relaxed environment where children are able to make choices in order to participate in experiences relevant to their interests and needs;
• an environment which fosters open communication and secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships between children, parents and educators;
• a commitment to encourage full participation of all children with a diverse range of needs.
Our Program offers:
• engagement in meaningful real-life and life-like experiences which recognise the individual interests and needs of the children in our care, in a supportive and stimulating environment;
• a holistic approach in the enhancement of each child’s social, emotional, physical, spiritual and cognitive development, through play and leisure;
• positive reinforcement and effective role modelling by educators, to encourage appropriate behaviour.
At our program, we acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the Land and recognise and pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.
We align ourselves with the standards and assessment of Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) Framework. During our inspection in February 2013 our Service achieved “Exceeding” in all the following quality areas:
Quality Area 1: Educational program and practice
Quality Area 2: Children’s health and safety
Quality Area 3: Physical Environment
Quality Area 4: Staff arrangements
Quality Area 5: Relationships with students
Quality Area 6: Collaborative partnerships with families and communities
Quality Area 7: Leadership and service management
In January 2017 our Service was awarded ‘Excellent’ from ACECQA for the second consecutive time.
Fees for Before and After School Care:
Before School Care – $10.00 per child.
After School Care – $10.00 if signed out by 4.30pm and $18.00 if signed out after 4.30pm. Charges are incurred from arrival time.
A Vacation Care Program is provided for children during school holidays, from 7.00am until 6.00pm each day. The program of daily activities is available three weeks before the start of each holidays.
Bookings are essential for children attending any of our OSHC programs.
A flat fee of $42.00 per child applies.
A Late Fee of $10.00 per child will apply plus a charge of $1.00 per minute after 6pm.
Outside School Hours Care is an Approved Child Care Provider. As such, you MAY be eligible to receive some Child Care Benefit. In order to claim reimbursement, it is necessary for families to be assessed for Child Care Benefit at Centrelink/Family Assistance Office.
For further information about our OSHC programme please contact the Head of Outside School Hours Care Jan Marxsen via email: email@example.com or by phone (07) 3826 3361.